History

Our History

Holyoke Hospital, circa 1893
Holyoke Medical Center originally opened its doors in 1893 as Holyoke City Hospital. Former Congressman and Mayor, William Whiting, led a group to make a non-sectarian Hospital in Holyoke a reality. In 1927 the name of the hospital was changed to Holyoke Hospital, to better clarify that the institution was not a municipality. The name was changed once more in 2003 to Holyoke Medical Center.